Day 10: Braemar to Gelder Shiel Bothy

After a comfortable night in the Invercauld Arms, where I took the opportunity to dry out my tent and wash some bits and pieces, I set off on a relatively short leg to Gelder Shiel via Balmoral.

On the path to the Lion's Face, I met a guy called Colin who was doing the challenge for the second time. Then a bit further on, we saw Robert and Becky, looking for a way over the fence on to the Old Military Road. Eventually we all found a place; rather than climb a ladder, it was simpler to squeeze through a horizontal gap.

Invercauld House viewed from Lion's Face
Instead of taking the very short route to Geldler Shiel (only 10k or so), I wanted to go around Balmoral to see the sights. As it happened, Colin, Robert and Becky were going to Ballater, so I would walk with them for a while through the wonderfully kept woodland of Ballochbuie Forest and the Woods of Garmaddie.

Unfortunately, when we stopped for a break, I noticed that my Thermarest Z-Shield was missing from outside of my pack (my training buddy was convinced this would happen at some point; I guess he was right). I didn't see it after walking back for 1km so I had to give it up. Fortunately, this was one part of a two part sleeping solution, the other part being an inflatable Thermarest Pro-Lite 3; so it was just a minor inconvenience for the trip and a £20 write-off.

Balmoral Castle

After reaching Balmoral, we went into the tea room; apparently there was a high level of security going on there and we had to take our packs inside with us. It was a good place to get tea, sandwiches and cake. One of the staff actually came over and introduced himself as someone who had completed the TGO on previous occasions.

Finally, I said goodbye to the others and set off southwards towards Gelder Shiel Bothy on a fairly uneventful walk along a track. I later regretted not stopping at the Lochnagar distillery but probably it would have been a bad idea carrying it in my pack and I didn't know in advance that there would be a merry band of challengers who might have helped me finish it at the bothy.

Going southwards along track approaching Gelder Shiel Bothy
It was pleasing to see so many challengers at Gelder Shiel. There were perhaps four tents dotted around, which made me think the bothy spaces had been taken. Bernie, Fred and Sue and another couple I bumped into once or twice were camping outside. It turned out there was plenty of space inside and the bothy was in very good condition (having been refurbished a year or two ago) with 8 bunks. Eventually I was sharing the bothy with Russ (Manion?), Ali Odgden, Elton O'Brien and Marcus Stuart-Murray. There were also a couple of Dutch men there, sharing out some Dutch cheese but I think they were sleeping outside, and a couple of non-challengers; a younger man and woman. It was great to hear Russ and Ali's tales of previous challenges but I have to admit I was really tired at that point.

Cooking table and bench in Gelder Shiel Bothy

Some bunks in Gelder Shiel Bothy
The bothy was next to another house that was quite well boarded-up. I was told this was sometimes used by the royal family and, in fact, Terry Whaite was allowed to stay there after being freed from captivity in the '80s.

Comments

  1. Challenger gave me what I suspect was your Thermarest Z-Shield at Ballater campsite and I left it with Challenge Control, Montrose around noon Tues 23rd May.

    The Coignafearn Challenge Groupie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Ian - you've been a great help! I picked it up at challenge control in Montrose. All the best, Rob.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Edge of Monadhliaths to Coignafearn Ruins

Day 14: Feteresso to Stonehaven