Day 1: Shiel Bridge to Athnamulloch

Originally it was the intention to start at Dornie, to see the Eilean Donan castle. However, it turned out that my route would be reduced by about six road miles from Shiel Bridge (Morvich). I stayed at Dornie, saw the castle, and got the bus to Shiel Bridge to sign out around 9:15am.

Eilean Donan - a 13th century castle - quite impressive against the backdrop of  Loch Alsh.

I met a few seasoned challengers on the road to Glen Affric; some passed while I was standing on the side of the road looking at my mobile (perhaps they thought I was lost already?). There was a guy, wearing shorts, who told me a bit about his previous challenges and that the most important thing is to be "adaptable". Wise words, I later reflected.

A couple road miles to get to the Affric Kintail Way / Glen Affric.

The weather was quite sunny for most of the day and suncream was neglected - this mistake became apparent on days 2-3. However, the sun did allow some wonderful views of the glen.

Looking southeast, somewhere along Gleann Lichd

Looking northeast, somewhere near Camban Bothy, I think, towards one of the Munros.

I met two American couples (John and Lenore; Stephan and Margret) and an English couple (Fred and Sue) later that day. After stopping briefly at Alltbeithe, the youth hostel, I went on to a place called Athnamulloch, after meeting Bernie Roberts, who was searching for a camp site. I camped just beyond there on a small island in the River Affric, with Rod Wainright and another challenger (Donna B?).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Edge of Monadhliaths to Coignafearn Ruins

Day 14: Feteresso to Stonehaven

Day 10: Braemar to Gelder Shiel Bothy