Day 6: Coignafearn Ruins to Aviemore

I was glad that the wind had calmed down that morning and it was fairly sunny.

The first part of the journey required crossing the Allt a' Mhuilinn. I eventually figured out that I had to go through a gate, and alongside the river to the north for a while before it became possible to ford it. This lead to a hidden path on the opposide side, going south, which went back past the gate (now on the opposite side).

Following the track for a few kilometres was possible, despite it not being marked on the OS maps. Possibly I could have followed it all the way to Red Roof Bothy but I was not sure. I decided to stick to the plan and followed a dried-out river bed up the side of Carn Caol.

My route up on to Carn Caol

Some cracked egg shells and rabbit/hare droppings on a rock near the top.

After climbing a considerable amount over rough ground to reach a track, which then descended for a while and then went northeast, on the level, I eventually reached Red Roof Bothy. The inside was quant, with the rocking chairs and fire place. I noted from the log that the two Americans had stayed there the night before and there was also an entry from another challenger.

Red Roof Bothy

Following northeast from there and then crossing a bridge led me to a long southeasterly path which climbed quite a lot before reaching a saddle point south of Gael Charn-Baeg. During the climb I noticed the Belgians, about 30 minutes ahead, but I didn't see them again that day. Following my planned route, roughly north from an epitaph, I followed an OS-maps path, which turned out to be non existent, to the east side of Gael Charn-Baeg. Then I went due east, downhill, to attempt to reach Milton Burn. This turned out to be difficult due to the terrain (including bogs) but eventually I found a deer fence and a ladder, which led to a few kms of tracks and further deer fences through the forest, eventually entering Aviemore from the northwest into a new housing development.

Forest track northwest of Aviemore

I stayed at the High Range Motel that night - a bit expensive but with decent facilities and nice rooms. The curry (Royal India) was also quite good. I saw the Americans there, who had picked up some fish and chips, and a number of other challengers eating outside the fish and chip place.

I realised that Aviemore was likely to be my last proper resupply, so I bought five days worth of food (porridge sachets, dates, mars bars and freeze-dried meals).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Edge of Monadhliaths to Coignafearn Ruins

Day 1: Shiel Bridge to Athnamulloch

Day 14: Feteresso to Stonehaven